Thursday, July 23, 2009

How things work

• Description
– Choose a system and describe how it works
– Show stages of development

• Form: Infographics (Information graphics)
• Size of actual artwork: variable
• Maximum size: fit in A3
• Artwork to be used in: book, magazine, newspaper, newsletter, brochure, manual etc.
• Target audience: Readers
• Color: Full color (functional color)
=====================================



Last assignment of this short semester!! This time round it's an easier assignment in a way that it's more straight forward, it's more of a test of my ability of drawing rather than idea and creativity.

Infographics on how things work, there can be really alot alot of examples. During class, the lecturer showed us some of her works on infographics. They are about plate tectonics, tsunami, volcano n stuffs in a secondary school Geography textbook. Nice really, drawing natural formations with the right colours and conveying the right message is not easy.

Since Geography is my favourite subject, I plough through my old geo textbook in secondary school and see what ideas can I get from there. I need something which is easy to convey and easy to draw. I chanced upon the Clean Energy section mentioning about Solar Power, Wind Power and Hydroelectric Power(HEP)..

Alright, everyone's talking about Global Warming and reducing carbon footprint, then this shall be my selected topic. However, solar and wind power is a tad bit too easy to draw and there's nothing much to say, so I chose the HEP. Searched through the net to get my ideas on how to draw it effectively - clean and uncomplicated.



An infographics i got online
Something that is real
A more complicated and detailed infographics
Another real water dam

My drawing on the HEP after referencing to online materials

Not too complicated, easily understandable, clean and straight forward. I've achieved my aims, and I'm lucky it's not too hard to draw!! Spent around 5hours or so..

Feedbacks were good, except that I'll need more words to decribe the whole process and my house will be better to be 3D rather than 2D. Ok, that is all that need to be changed. Phew~!!





This is the work of Qiu Xun, who is a Science student and he drew an infographics on Manufacture of Nuclear Fission Bomb!! Haha!! That's like so unique la.. There are also other interesting works like formation of acne, NEWater making, flea market setting, make up procedure etc etc..

OK, now, I'll need to get down to work. Fine tune all my work and organise my portfolio. One last hurdle to cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment